Update July 21st:
A family in the 12XX block of NW 95th St reports their house was also entered the night of the 17th-18th. The woman heard noises in the kitchen and when investigating found a medium height person in a white tee shirt there. She screamed and the intruder left, leaving behind a dark sweatshirt. Police responded, but as yet no report shows up for the incident.
Update July 20th:
The July 17th 10:30 PM incident and the July 18th 3 AM incident now have substantial narratives in the online police reports (click on the links below to retrieve the amended reports).Â From those reports, it is clear the incident reported on the MyBallard forum is the July 18 3 AM incident, and the nearby incident was actually near 110th and Phinney. Also the stolen vehicle from that incident was recovered. The July 18th 3 AM incident was classed as a forced entry because a window screen was removed to enter the house. All three incidents involved minimal or no force to enter, and the residences burglarized were occupied at the time.
A number of burglaries have occurred since July 16th in the vicinity of 13th Ave NW and NW 95th Street. Some of the information presented here is preliminary — police report narratives were not yet available, and some of the information is second hand.
We have confirmed three incidents
and there may have been a fourth (to see the police reports, you will need to register):
- Jul 16 2011, 3 PM, reported Jul 18 2011 THEFT-CARPROWL 12XX BLOCK OF NW 95TH ST (Police Report)
- Jul 17 2011, 10:30 PM, reported Jul 18 2011 BURGLARY-NOFORCE-RESÂ 92XX BLOCK OF 13TH AVE NW (Police Report)
- Jul 18 2011, 3 AM, reported Jul 18 2011Â BURGLARY-FORCE-RES,Â VEH-THEFT-AUTO 92XX BLOCK OF 13TH AVE NW (Police Report)
There was also a report in the forum at MyBallard.com which may correspond to the third one above. There is an inconsistency in that the police report indicates a forced entry, but the forum posting indicates entry through an open window. The poster also indicates “The police said that there was another house about 3 blocks away that was robbed shortly before ours.” I haven’t found evidence on the police reports website of that event yet.Â The MyBallard forum posting has a great last line:Â “… and one ‘amazing’ guard dog is now for sale. ”
A few tips:
- Lock doors and windows when asleep
- Report ALL suspicious activity on 911 while the activity is happening. When in doubt whether an activity or person is suspicious, report it. The 911 operators will triage the calls. Also it is a good idea to leave your phone number and address, and ask for the responding officer to contact you.
- If dialing 911 from a cell phone, be VERY clear of your exact location.
- Get to know your neighbors front, back, to the sides and diagonally as well. That way you can also alert them.
- Longer term: consider setting up a block watch and having Terrie Johnston conduct a security audit of your home or business.
- Sign up for and hold a Night Out Against Crime event on Tuesday August 2nd.
A similar or possibly related case occurred a few weeks ago and is reported here. Crown Hill Neighbors held a Crime and Public Safety Community Meeting on June 23rd and the wrapup includes contact information for and tips from Terrie Johnston (Community Crime Prevention Coordinator) and Scott McGlashan (Community Police Team Officer).
If you have more information about any of these events or related events to share, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or reply in the comments below. If you reply in the comments, please do not specify the exact address.