Seen rats in the neighborhood recently? I’ve seen them scurrying about various places (along Holman Road, and fences). And we’re not alone. Seattle now has a video about the problem and what we can do about it. And according to the video, it is not an urban legend that rats can come up through your toilet.
So, here is what to do if you spot a rat in your toilet:
- Stay calm, and shut the lid.
- Reach for a bottle of dish detergent.
- Squirt dish detergent into the toilet bowl. This will make it harder for the rat to float and swim by neutralizing the oils in the rat’s fur.
- Flush repeatedly until the rat is gone.
- Report the incident: 206-205-4394 or online here.
- More information is available here: http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/ehs/rats/sewerbaiting.aspx
Additional information about rats in the city from King County:
- How To Get Rid of Rats
- Fact sheet on rats in sewers and the sewer baiting program
- Bird feeders and rats
- Four steps to prevent rodent infestations
Trivia: The province of Alberta in Canada is the only place known in North America to be “rat-free” … read about it here.